Project 6 : Loimaa Evangelical Folk High School
Loimaa Evangelical Folk High School
Loimaa Evangelical Folk High School (LEKO) is a private educational establishment with 80 years long history. It is located in Hirvikoski, calm and beautiful rural area of South-West Finland at village, next to Loimaa town, 150 km from Helsinki, 60 km from Turku. LEKO works in the fields of formal, non-formal education, social work, spiritual work, children welfare and hospitality services locally, regionally and internationally. The largest group of our full time students are non-finish national adults learning Finnish language with in content of upper basic education program and we are providing different courses. LEKO serves about 100 full time students, and 50 staff members.
Your work as a volunteer
The volunteer will work in co-operation and under guidance of 3-4 folk high school staff members, but be supervised by one. At the start, there will be developed acting plan with active involvement of volunteers needs for whole period in Finland. Expected tasks or we would need the volunteers’ hands on
- assisting, organizing, preparing free time activities for non-Finnish residential students (like home work hub, cooking, craft, sport…), to help with in languages (like hosting English Chatting evenings, club of your culture and language),
- to take part in activities at children and youth development welfare centers (for local ones and for non-Finnish),
- to give a support at LEKO Children Play Group with pre-schoolers and elementary school kids at home work hub
- to get ready, for taking leading part in international Volunteer Corps group in late spring
- to give a support in practical tasks in the folk high school when needed
- to have a presentation of her/his-self, home country, youth activities in own country
- to work on self-development by getting Finnish experience and/or participating in some courses
- to follow up on personal growth through perspective of Key Competences for Lifelong Learning by planning, acting and reflecting
- to reflect in social media about volunteering work in Finland
Volunteer is welcome to be part of LEKO educational program (Finnish Language) and to participate in trips and camps organized for LEKO community. He/she will stay at the student dormitory with rooms shared by 2 persons and common kitchen. There is a food services in school at working days, with possibility to pay attention for different diets. School has bicycles and a car (B driving license preferred)
We are looking for international volunteers to give stronger EU value and self-development perspective at our school. We are looking for person with curiosity, self-initiative and willingness to help, cooperate and to lead; to be part of LEKO, Loimaa and larger community.
The position is suitable for any English speaking (in level of conversation) young person aged 18-30. LEKO is unobstructed in study area only, so unfortunately we cannot provide place for volunteer who is in a wheelchair. Our work language at school is Finnish, but with volunteer we use English. We will skype interview most potential candidates and are open to discuss with the volunteer about the tasks she/he is most interested /capable of doing. We would be happy if volunteer will enjoy socializing and doing activities with in multicultural society with tolerance. We hope that our volunteer is positive, ready to take different kind of tasks. We are looking for volunteer with desire to give own involvement and to get experiences from Finland.