Project 1 : IKKO Folk High School
IKKO Folk High School
Ikko is a modern, non-political and nonreligious folk high school offering both general and vocational education for Finnish and immigrant adult students and groups throughout the year. We also host special target groups such as students with special needs as well as young asylum seekers. Punkaharju folk high school is located in rural area in eastern Finland, so the volunteer should feel comfortable with living in a small community far from city lights, preferably someone who enjoys environment and outdoor activities.
Your work as a volunteer
The ESC volunteer will plan and organise activities such as various workshops related to for example arts, culture, languages, computers, cooking, sports, music, games and other topics depending on the skills and interests of the volunteer and the students. Most students in the folk high schools are adults with immigrant origin.The students attend different courses and degrees, some join for short term courses, some stay a full year. In summer months the volunteer will assist with different international groups, especially with the international volunteers and youth groups.
In general, the volunteer will work in co-operation and under guidance of folk high school staff:
- Preparing, organizing and assisting in various afternoon and evening activities for the residential adult students such as different workshops, events, cooking clubs, arts and crafts, sports activities etc.
- Supporting in practical tasks in the folk high school when needed.
- Disseminating information on European Solidarity Corps and Erasmus+ programs in the area
- Guiding international volunteer camps and other groups especially in summer and vacation periods.
- Acting as intercultural messenger encouraging the students (and the international volunteers in summer) with different ethnic backgrounds to co-operate together and make everyone feel welcome to join all the activities.
The volunteer in encouraged to carry out own ideas, own projects such as running a workshop on some topic of her /his hobby or expertise ( sport, language, handicraft, music, for example).
The volunteer will spend time with the folk high school students and other groups, to socialize with them and co-organize leisure time activities during the working hours. Volunteer will stay at the student dormitory in a double room. There are about 150 residents at the school, mostly adult students . The school offers breakfast, lunch and dinner seven days a week, so the ESC volunteer has all the meals prepared.
We look for a person who is motivated to learn, adapt, propose ideas, take initiative and open to discover other cultures and work in a multicultural environment.
The volunteer is expected to plan and do activities mainly with adults and sometimes with young people (summer months) so the environment fits best to a person who is sociable and positive and loves outdoor and nature. The school is multicultural so volunteer should be interested and able to work with people from many different cultures.
The project is suitable for volunteers who are flexible, independent and able to communicate in English sufficiently to plan and do activities.